Friday, January 6

Pride.

Growing up I always thought that pride was only a man's struggle, that as a woman I was free from dealing with my pride. Ha, what a lie I was fed.  Clearly I was wrong and prideful in this thinking...ironic much? Anyway, I was reading a book a few weeks ago and this poem spoke to me, it showed me just how prideful I can truly be if I am being honest with myself.  There have been moments since I read this poem that my actions have stood out to me.  This poem has stuck with me, and slowly but surely I am being refined.  Praise the Lord for His patience and grace in this aspect.  I thought I would share with you too my sweet sister.  Really sit and ponder these words, allow the Lord to use this poem to refine you too.   Don't let pride cheat you of what God has for you, He has so much more. 


My name is Pride.  I am a cheater.

I cheat you of your God-given destiny...because you demand your own way.

I cheat you of contentment...because you 'deserve better than this.'

I cheat you of knowledge...because you already know it all.

I cheat you of healing...because you're too full of me to forgive.

I cheat you of holiness...because you refuse to admit when your wrong.

I cheat you of vision...because you'd rather look in the mirror than out a window.

I cheat you of genuine friendship...because nobody's going to know the real you.

I cheat you of love...because real romance demands sacrifice.

I cheat you of greatness in heaven...because you refuse to wash another's feet on earth.

I cheat you of God's glory...because I convince you to seek your own.

My name is Pride.  I am a cheater. 

You like me because you think I'm always looking out for you.

Untrue.

I'm looking to make a fool of you. 

God has so much for you, I admit, but don't worry...if you stick with me you'll never know


While portions of this are convicting to me, others are encouraging also.  We have the ability to live differently in Him.  In fact, we are called to live differently.  Jesus is our example, follow His lead.  Remember what C. S. Lewis said too, 'Humility is not thinking less of yourself, rather thinking of yourself less.'   We are not here to live for ourselves, we are here to live with purpose and intention for Him and them. 

'When pride comes, then comes dishonor, but with the humble is wisdom.'     
Proverbs 11:2 

'Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.  Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus.'
Philippians 2:3-5

'He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?' 
Micah 6:8 

No comments:

Post a Comment